Most people know how to childproof their homes to ensure their kids are safe; however, few pet owners know about pet-proofing. Many non-edible and edible substances exist in and around your home. You should know about them to help you make your home a safe place for your animal friend. In terms of edible poisons, some of the drinks and foods that you consider tasty may be dangerous for your adorable pet companion.
Types of Toxic Items: Edible and Non-Edible
When it comes to non-edible items, pets will try to smell, taste, or swallow them. Substances such as antifreeze, mothballs, solvents, rat bait, or paints scattered around your home can kill your pets. However, human food can also be fatal to your cat or dog.
Toxicity, when it comes to the top poison items for pets, varies. The level of toxicity often depends on factors, such as the ingested substance, type of animal, and quantity ingested. The prevention awareness month is the perfect time to learn about common toxic items for pets. If you think your pet ate something toxic, call a pet poison control center as soon as possible.
Outdoor Toxic Items
If you have a garden, shed, outdoor play area, home workshop, or garage, you probably have plants, chemicals and pesticides, pest poisons, and other dangerous items. You need to learn which plants can be harmful to your animal friend and under what conditions. Many shrubs, flowers, lilies, and veggies can be toxic to animals.
Poisons meant to kill weeds, insects, and/or rodents are also toxic to pets. The same applies to certain garden products, such as compost piles, fertilizers, and cocoa mulch, as well as most chemicals. You need to store such items safely and securely, in addition to mopping up any spills.
Chances are that you like sharing your food with your pet. Doing so, in certain cases, is not a good idea. Many of the foods you eat are not good for your pet. They can cause severe digestive problems. Some cooking ingredients you use can also be toxic or fatal to certain pets. Some of these include chocolate, macadamia nuts, avocados, onions, raisins, grapes, yeast dough, alcohol, garlic, and coffee.
Never let your pet ingest any medication meant for human beings unless your vet tells you to do so. Many over-the-counter human medications are extremely poisonous to animals. To protect your four-legged friend, keep your medication out of your pet’s reach, and wipe or pick up any spilled medication or dropped pills as soon as possible. Take the same precaution with any health food products and supplements.
You need to read the warning labels on any household items or products you use, in addition to storing them as directed. If you need information about top poison items for pets or free pet exams, call Windermere Animal Hospital at 317-434-1600 and talk to owner Roger Nix, a highly experienced and licensed veterinarian. Based in Fishers, Indiana, we specialize in everything pet-related. We will treat your pet using the latest veterinarian technology, in addition to offering him or her the compassion and care he or she deserves.